Morality in the 21st Century
Listen to the BBC Radio mini-series
In 2018 Rabbi Sacks was approached by the BBC to develop a radio mini series. He enthusiastically accepted the challenge to explore the issue of morality in the 21st century, as part of a series of five programmes on BBC Radio 4.
Over the daily episodes, Rabbi Sacks and a host of expert contributors explored topics that included ideas around moral responsibility and who still has it; the impact of social media on young people; Artificial Intelligence and the future of humanity; the impact of individualism and multiculturalism on communities and who young people see as their moral role-models.
In each episode Rabbi Sacks also spoke to groups of young people between 16 and 18 years old, who provided commentary on the discussions and shared their insights into their moral, social and political outlook, and examined with them what the implications of their opinions might be.
Contributors to the series included:
- Melinda Gates, American philanthropist
- Jordan Peterson, the Canadian clinical psychologist
- Noreena Hertz, English economist and broadcaster
- Steven Pinker, cognitive psychologist, linguist and author
- Jean Twenge, Professor of Psychology and author
- David Brooks, author and political and cultural commentator
- Michael Sandel, political philosopher
- Mustafa Suleyman, British artificial intelligence entrepreneur
- Nick Bostrom, philosopher
- Jonathan Haidt, social psychologist
- Robert Putnam, American political scientist
- Heather Templeton-Dill, President of The John Templeton Foundation
Listen to the five broadcasted episodes, and see below all full episodes, and extended interviews with the contributors listed above.
- Episode 1: Responsibility
- Episode 2: Jordan Peterson
- Episode 3: Noreena Hertz
- Episode 4: The ‘Selfie Generation
- Episode 5: Jean Twenge
- Episode 6: David Brooks
- Episode 7: Is Society a Myth?
- Episode 8: Jonathan Haidt
- Episode 9: Robert Putnam
- Episode 10: Artificial Intelligence
- Episode 11: Mustafa Suleyman
- Episode 12: Nick Bostrom
- Episode 13: Moral Heroes
- Episode 14: Steven Pinker and Melinda Gates
- Episode 15: Michael Sandel